Lectures on Particular General Skills
- Lecture 4: Literature Search
- Here we talked about getting good hooks into the literature.
- We also talked about citation indexes, moving back and forth following
citations, quality of papers and keeping reading.
- We also talked about the mechanics of citations and bibliographies.
- Use literature to support your arguments.
- Lecture 5: Statistics
- Here we made a very brief tour of statistics.
- I think of it as an expansion of probability.
- Power and significance of statistics is particularly important.
- The key here is to be able to figure it out when it's needed, and
do not worry about it.
- Lecture 6: Writing
- Here we talked about basics (sentence structure, grammar, outlines).
- We also talked about the standard structure of a paper (intro,
literature, study, results, conclusion) and some other options.
- We talked about writing as a way to learn.
- Finally, we also talked about giving talks briefly.