Continuing the Process
- This process is an ongoing one.
- You need to continue to build up your references.
- I use bibtex (for latex) and a big filing cabinet full
- A lot of people use EndNote (which seems to work with Word documents).
- Those things are about keeping track of your references.
- You can build cognitive maps to help you organise your references.
- A particularly critical thing to do is to find parts of the
field that don't refer to each other.
- The Russians are quite fond of saying we discovered X 20 years ago,
it's just not been published in English.
- Similar things often happen with older research that has been
- There are also different ways of looking at problems, and
different communities may come to solutions independently
of each other.
- Keep reading.
- Our PhD students write a literature review in their second year; they
should rewrite it before they finish their thesis.