- Effectors, as the word suggests, effect things.
- They are things like arms, hands, feet, spray guns,
automatic welding irons, and even lights.
- They're what robots use to modify the world.
- Part of that can be moving about (with legs or wheels).
- Many of these effectors use motors to move joints.
- A key issue with an effector is its degrees of freedom (DOF).
- This is the number of ways it can move. So, your elbow has one DOF,
your shoulder has rotational freedom, and your finger (with three
joints) has three DOF.
- It's, perhaps, surprisingly complex to get robots to work, because
the real world is dynamic and stochastic.