Human Brain Project
- For the last couple of years we've had some funding from the
- The HBP is a billion euro project to build tools to extend
our understanding of the brain.
- The project is developing several platforms for use
in and outside the project. For example, the Medical
Informatics Platform focuses on medical data for problems like
- Our project is most closely linked with the Neuromorphic Computing
Platform, but also with the Neurorobotics Platform and the
High Performance Computing Platform.
- The Neurorobotics Platform is building a simulated environment
for exploring closed-loop brain simulations.
- The Neuromorphic Computing Platform is making use of specialised
hardware for simulating neurons.
- We working on using HiCANN chips.
- We did some work on using SpiNNaker chips, and expect to do some more
to take use of the billion neuron machine.
- We're translating our agents to the HBP platforms.
- We're also spending a lot of time developing neural and
synaptic (learning) models for the core Nest and SpiNNaker
- Most of the coding for this is in Python.