- To be good at AI, you need to be good at programming.
- We develop systems, and that requires programming.
- You need to be able to develop solid, bug free systems.
- You need to be able to learn and implement new algorithms.
- If you can develop new algorithms from scratch, you're
going to be in demand.
- My AI class (CSD 3939) requires you to write algorithms from
- In the modern software world, systems are often integrated.
Managing this integration is a complex skill.
- Once you've got that, you can specialise. There are a lot
of skills that can really help.
- Mathematics and statistics help.
- Research methodology helps.
- I'm really interested and make use of Psychology and Linguistics.
- If you want to work in a particular domain, it helps to understand
- For instance, stock trading makes extensive use of machine
learning. Since there's no free lunch, it would help to know
more about the companies themselves.