AI and the Turing Test
- AI has been around for a while; it depend on how you count, but
more than 50 years.
- A definition of AI is hard but a good one centers around the idea
of solving the Turing test.
- The test is ill posed but roughly, you put a human in one room,
a machine in another, and a human tester in the third.
- The tester is linked to the other two rooms by a teletype (or
- The tester communicates with each individually via the teletype.
- The tester has as long as he likes to try to determine which is
the machine and which the human.
- If he can't determine or does so at chance, the machine is intelligent.
- This currently runs under the guise of the Loebner prize.
- We're not even close to solving it.