Lab 6: Case-Based Reasoning
- Make a CBR system for recommending plants for a garden.
- As ever, we will do this in eclipse in Java. Open up a
new project. You are welcome to make it just text mode.
- Define several cases. Let's start by defining the garden by
two features, height and width. The output is a third feature
- For example 5x5 -> holly; 10x10->maple; 20x20-> oak.
- Now make a nearness metric using standard euclidean distance.
- Test on a hard coded query (e.g. 4x4).
- Now read in the query from the user.
- Now add a third input feature, largest existing shrub or tree.
- Modify your similarity metric to include this.
- Increase the size of your casebase. (It would be good to have
- Can you add a fourth feature (e.g. number of existing large shrubs)?
- Can you make the similarity metric hierarchical (e.g. maple and oaks
are large trees, holly a small tree, and rose a shrub.)?