Chris Huyck's Projects
- Currently the main focus of my research is on recurrent neural networks
called Cell Assemblies. There is a lot on this in my open
CA page. There are some
particular problems that I'm interested in and are appropriate
for MSc students:
- Compare CANT to an
existing neuronal simulator such as GENESIS. There is a range of
possible projects including reimplementing a simple CANT experiment
using the GENESIS simulator.
- Fixing up the object (OOP) model for CANT. In particular
the input class should be able to take advantage of inheritance
but currently does not.
- Simple Data Mining tasks using CAs, in particular categorisation
- Implementing a pixel to line recognition layer
I'm also interested in supervising PhD students in this. Particular
problems of interest include
- Variable Binding
- Use of CAs to solve parsing problems
- Input from the environment and interaction with it
- Theoretical Foundations
- Topological Issues
- Datamining using CAs
We usually have funded studentships and I'm willing to discuss
these projects with anyone who has a reasonable background.
- XML as a useful Knowledge Representation Language. A traditional
problem of AI has been how to represent knowledge. Frames, semantic
nets, scripts and other representation formats have been proposed.
For instance, the semantics or meaning of natural language text
is very difficult to specify. XML provides a new approach to this
problem; it provides a mechanism for syntactically specificying
the meaning of a document. Using XML for a particular domain of
text can provide an entry to a wide range of queries on a particular
domain that would function with a very high degree of precision and
- Text Mining: I've got some text data that a company is interested
in getting information from automatically. I think the best way
to progress is use my existing parser (Plink) and generate a dictionary
and output module for the current domain. Of course this is all
- A better search engine
- Games and AI: I'm interested in supervising the implementation of
a bridge game. There may also be scope for a project involving
interactive video games.
- I have a lego robot on my shelf. I'd be interested in getting
it to do interesting things. If you're interested in writing such
a thesis, I'd be willing to supervise it.
This page was developed by
This page last modified: