Binding by Synchrony
- The binding problem was a popular one in the 80s and 90s.
- The solution that seemed to win was the binding by synchrony one.
- This depends on firing dynamics of the neurons (which fits in nicely
with the F in flIF).
- The neurons in CAs that are bound together fire at about the
- The main problem with this is that it only supports a few bindings.
- A secondar problem is that when they stop firing, the binding is lost.
- Another problem from my perspective, is I'm not sure how neurons detect
that things are firing in synchrony. I think others have figured
that out, so it's not one of my criticisms in the paper.