Why do a literature search
- Reading what others have done is probably the easiest
way to find out about the current state of the art.
- Speaking with people about there work is also good, but
most academic and non-academic researchers publish
their best work.
- Reading may not be the easiest way to understand something,
but it is relatively easy to get your hands on published
- You have to read with a critical eye.
- You have to understand what is being said.
- You don't have to agree with what is being said.
- You have to evaluate how convinced you are by a publication,
and why you are convinced or are not convinced.
- Reading gives you access to theories.
- Reading gives you access to primary data.
- Reading gives you links to more sources.
- Reading is a fundamental way of building up your cognitive
map of a domain.
- My supervisor said "you can never read too much".